Skip to main content

Voiceover Audition

 Last Saturday, I did something I never thought I would. I’ve never been to any kind of audition before, but that day I went for a voiceover audition.


I’ve always been curious about voiceover work. I’ve heard of it, understood the theory, but never really knew how it felt. This time, I guess my curiosity outweighed my fear of trying something new. I’m not even sure where the courage came from, but I just went for it.


I decided to arrive early because I didn’t want to wait too long. First in, first out. That was the plan. The audition started at 10 a.m. and would go on until 6 p.m., but I was already there by 9:30 a.m. Even then, around 15 people were already waiting.


While waiting, I chatted with another participant who was also a first-timer. That helped ease the nerves a little.


When it was time to go in, I was surprised. We all entered the room together. I thought it would be a one-on-one session, where others wait outside. But nope, everyone could hear each other. That definitely made me more nervous, because I’ve always had a bit of stage fright.


They had shared nine scripts earlier in the WhatsApp group with around 900-ish participants, and we were told to choose just one for the audition. Yes, that many!


Once we got into the room, a briefing was given, and we were told that during each person’s turn, everyone else had to stay completely silent so they could capture the voice clearly.


When it was time to volunteer, I decided to go early, just to get it over with. I figured the longer I waited, the more nervous I’d get.


But even before my turn, I had already heard about 10 other people. Some of them were really good. One lady even chose a kid’s script and pulled off a full-on child’s voice. We couldn’t help but clap lightly(just enough to show appreciation while still remembering the rules). She was amazing.


I picked a 30-second English script with a narrator style because I wasn’t confident doing varied tones like in commercial ads or performing emotional dialogue. A more neutral, corporate tone felt more natural to me.


I did my best. And honestly, it’s an experience I’ll never forget. I stepped out of my comfort zone, didn’t overthink, and just did it. That alone felt like a win. I’m not expecting to get anything out of it, but I’m genuinely happy that I followed through. I answered that lingering curiosity about voiceover by going through the process myself.


It was unfamiliar, exciting, and surprisingly refreshing.


Comments

Popular Posts

Volunteer sekolah orang asli

 Pada 18 November yang lalu, saya menjadi sukarelawan di bawah sebuah organisasi bernama Bila Bila Odyssey, yang menganjurkan satu program di SK Bukit Bangkong (A), sebuah sekolah Orang Asli berhampiran Sungai Pelek, dalam kawasan komuniti Mah Meri. Sekolah tersebut mempunyai kurang daripada 120 orang murid dari Tahun 1 hingga Tahun 6. Program yang dijalankan berfokus kepada STEM, dan murid-murid dibahagikan kepada enam kelas. Saya ditugaskan untuk mengajar mereka cara membuat plastisin sebagai salah satu aktiviti pembelajaran. Setiap sesi dijalankan selama lebih kurang 15 minit. Saya sendiri sebenarnya turut belajar bersama kanak-kanak ini. Secara ringkas, cara membuat plastisin bermula dengan mencampurkan 10 sudu tepung dan 1 sudu garam, kemudian digaul rata. Dalam bekas lain, air dicampurkan dengan pewarna makanan dan untuk kelas ini kami menggunakan warna merah dan biru. . Air berwarna itu dituangkan sedikit demi sedikit ke dalam campuran tepung tadi, lalu diuli sehingga adunan...

Witty Game : Breakout at NU Sentral

 I recently went to Breakout at NU Sentral and played “The War for Rembrandt” with two friends. The game is recommended for beginners and has a 65% success rate. From the start, we purposely chose an easier game because we wanted a higher chance of winning, especially since the tickets weren’t cheap. Even the staff suggested we pick a simpler room. Before the game began, we were given a short briefing on the dos and don'ts. Only one person was allowed to bring a phone into the room, as we needed to download their app beforehand for in-game hints and assistance. All our belongings were stored in a provided locker. The game lasted about 50 minutes. Our first impression upon entering the first room was “wow”. It really felt like stepping into a different world. It was definitely a mental challenge. We asked for hints twice, yet still we didn’t make it through the final room in time. We really enjoyed it although we failed. Haha! Breakout is a themed real-life escape room venue located...

That Wānaka Tree

I was scrolling through my IG when one post caught my eye — a tree. Because the picture was so beautiful, I read the caption. It’s about a famous tree in NZ called the Wānaka Tree. So, I did some research, and here’s some interesting info. A willow tree grows at the edge of Lake Wanaka, on the South Island of New Zealand. It may just be a tree, but it gained popularity among tourists due to its photographic appeal, with a mountainous backdrop and its stunning reflection in the water. Its fame soared when photographer Dennis Radermacher won the New Zealand Geographic Photograph of the Year in 2014. It goes back to the 1930s when a farmer planted willow branches into the ground to make fence posts. It was meant to be just a fence post, part of a line to stop animals from wandering around the lake’s edge. But nature had other plans. That branch took root and grew into a tree. Against all odds, and unbelievably, it is now one of the most photographed sights in New Zealand tourism and has g...