Skip to main content

Decathlon giving back to community

 I recently attended a free Zumba class at the Decathlon PJ branch, which is part of their regular weekly activities that include Zumba, yoga, and more. These activities are often offered at a minimal fee, with occasional free classes for the community, perhaps once a month. The atmosphere was lively, with families playing ping pong and children riding small bikes within the venue, adding to the sense of community.


This initiative by Decathlon is a fantastic example of how a business can give back to local residents while promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. I haven’t seen other sports retailers in Malaysia adopt a similar approach. While Decathlon remains a business, they’ve successfully integrated CSR activities by fostering a sports culture through the free or affordable use of their facilities, like badminton, basketball, and futsal courts in selected branches, including those in Selangor, Johor Bahru, and Penang. Classes like Zumba, Pound, and Yoga/Pilates are also available. 


Decathlon also offers a few partnership activities outside their venue, including sports like Muay Thai and water sports like paddleboarding, which may appeal to a broader audience. I hope that with community support for their initiatives, these sessions will continue to grow and more people can participate across Malaysia.


To me, Decathlon is not only fulfilling its corporate social responsibilities but also nurturing a spirit of sportsmanship among the community. As I see it, this, in turn, gradually builds customer loyalty, as people are more inclined to spend money at places they trust and feel a connection with.


Since I love sharing the good things happening around me, I thought I’d share this as well. Check out their activities at the link here. https://activities.decathlon.my/en-MY



Comments

Popular Posts

Volunteer sekolah orang asli

 Pada 18 November yang lalu, saya menjadi sukarelawan di bawah sebuah organisasi bernama Bila Bila Odyssey, yang menganjurkan satu program di SK Bukit Bangkong (A), sebuah sekolah Orang Asli berhampiran Sungai Pelek, dalam kawasan komuniti Mah Meri. Sekolah tersebut mempunyai kurang daripada 120 orang murid dari Tahun 1 hingga Tahun 6. Program yang dijalankan berfokus kepada STEM, dan murid-murid dibahagikan kepada enam kelas. Saya ditugaskan untuk mengajar mereka cara membuat plastisin sebagai salah satu aktiviti pembelajaran. Setiap sesi dijalankan selama lebih kurang 15 minit. Saya sendiri sebenarnya turut belajar bersama kanak-kanak ini. Secara ringkas, cara membuat plastisin bermula dengan mencampurkan 10 sudu tepung dan 1 sudu garam, kemudian digaul rata. Dalam bekas lain, air dicampurkan dengan pewarna makanan dan untuk kelas ini kami menggunakan warna merah dan biru. . Air berwarna itu dituangkan sedikit demi sedikit ke dalam campuran tepung tadi, lalu diuli sehingga adunan...

That Wānaka Tree

I was scrolling through my IG when one post caught my eye — a tree. Because the picture was so beautiful, I read the caption. It’s about a famous tree in NZ called the Wānaka Tree. So, I did some research, and here’s some interesting info. A willow tree grows at the edge of Lake Wanaka, on the South Island of New Zealand. It may just be a tree, but it gained popularity among tourists due to its photographic appeal, with a mountainous backdrop and its stunning reflection in the water. Its fame soared when photographer Dennis Radermacher won the New Zealand Geographic Photograph of the Year in 2014. It goes back to the 1930s when a farmer planted willow branches into the ground to make fence posts. It was meant to be just a fence post, part of a line to stop animals from wandering around the lake’s edge. But nature had other plans. That branch took root and grew into a tree. Against all odds, and unbelievably, it is now one of the most photographed sights in New Zealand tourism and has g...